Wednesday, October 14, 2009

To Follow the Journey, You Must Familiarize Yourself with the Surroundings


When I first started working on "The Mango Tree Cafe, Loi Kroh Road," I had no idea what to expect from the story. I had never visited nor read anything about Thailand. I had knew of Bangkok, Thailand but didn't really know what the countryside looked like or how people lived their lives in that part of the world.


As I imagined, it was much different than life in the U.S. It's a world filled with spirituality, mysticism, grittiness, primitive life, loneliness, tourism, overcrowded isolation, street dogs, natives dressed in coolie hats, and brooding angst. It's a world so unlike our current society, yet it somehow feels disturbingly familiar.

All these elements cast a shadow upon Loi Kroh Road which casts a spell of certain uncertainty. It is all of these reasons and more that I love this story so much. You will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment