Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Story Lingers Like All Great Books Should...


Have you ever read a book that was memorable? I don't mean remembering a book you read last week or even a year ago...but years later. To me, that is the hallmark sign of a great book. And, I can remember books that I read years ago that cause me to pause even now.

Who knows why certain books do this to us. Different human experience I suppose. What caused me to think about this is that I was talking to my mother on the phone this afternoon and we were reminiscing about the days when I was growing up in Groves, Texas. One of my earliest memories of our living room was the massive book shelves along one wall that was filled with wonderful books, magazines and encyclopedias.


I remember poring over the various books that were on those shelves ...For Whom the Bell Tolls, The Sleeping Prophet, The complete collection of Stephen King's books, The Thorn Birds, Stubborn Child and a host of other memoirs, bibliographies, fiction and nonfiction books. I also read and re-read stories in the Children's encyclopedias about Mozart, Gandhi, Clara Barton and Leonardo DaVinci.

These books lasted throughout my growing up years and beyond. The enrichment of these books and the joy of reading has shaped my life for the better. And, I remember those books that touched me to this day.


And, as we both reminisced, my mother asked, "Remember in The Mango Tree Cafe, when...." and I smiled, because I knew that Alan's and my book had made that incredible leap from good book to a memorable one.

No comments:

Post a Comment