Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"Lights, Cameras, Prologue"

As I've mentioned before in other posts, I am a firm believer of grabbing the reader's attention from the first word. I know that when I open a new book, I don't want to wait to be hopelessly hooked with the storyline.


I remember sitting in front of my laptop screen watching my cursor blink impatiently as if it were waiting for me to type some letters for it to place upon my word document. Alan and I had been emailing back and forth regarding the beginning of "The Mango Tree Cafe, Loi Kroh Road" as we both weren't satisfied with the current beginning.


I know I wanted the story to lure the reader in quickly and quietly into the jungles of Thailand. I wanted to have the reader be able to picture what "Larry," the main character looked like, felt and thought as we find him sitting on the veranda in the glare of the morning sun. After countless rewrites, I came up with an idea...Larry was considered the supreme storyteller by his friends. The recounting of his boyhood home, his experiences along the journey reflect this art of storytelling. I decided to show the unkind effects of a journey that was too long and difficult for this sensitive man's soul.


A man whose oratory skill was unmatched was now mute. One can only wonder about the stories that can no longer be released from his psyche.

No comments:

Post a Comment